Monday, July 22, 2013

On #SONA2013, Kate Middleton's labor and your right to complain

See what I did there? I used a hashtag on my blogtitle. Cool huh? Nope? Ok :/


PNOY delivered his fourth State of the Nation Address just a couple of hours ago and good lord was that a snoozefest. I'm not sure if it's because of the nappy time of the day (4pm) or is it because listening to some politician (whom I no longer believe in) sing-song a speech for two hours or more, got me snorring half-way through. I just remember waking up to the noise of my grandma's evening drama thinking that I probably didn't miss anything much. 

Beforehand, I was pretty sure that he wouldn't even mention things that I, along with many others, wanted to hear about. He didn't even talk about FOI, upholding the RH Law or fixing the stupid public education system in our country.  So when I checked the 'net for a gist of his SONA, I found out that I was right. Yes, he did mention about education but all he did was praise Bro. Armin Luistro for his work--which I believe is not enough (I am a Lasallian, so you can see that I'm totally disregarding my conflict of interest). He also talked briefly about having 6 out of 10 TESDA graduates get jobs right away, but to me it's 6 jobs too few. Also, are those jobs affording them comfortable lives, or are they just making do by being minimum wage contractual workers? The rest of his speech was just a long babble of things that are raging from praising his mediocre work as a president and the rest of his administration, presenting governmental projects that must've been done years back and doing lip-service for the rest of his constituents. I am not impressed.

However, let's focus now on a more important matter: KATE MIDDLETON IS IN LABOR!!!!!1!! OMG ROYAL BABYYYY!!!!! SO EXCITED *heart heart heart*

Ok, I couldn't care any less, actually. The rest of my generation are much more into it, though. You see, my dear fellow Filipino youth, there are things that are more of value than some famous person push another future famous person out of her vaginal cavity. Yes, it's very exciting to talk about it and be obsessed, but doing it at the expense of consciously being blind and deaf about local political issues is not changing our situation at all. Fine, I know that it seems hypocritical to hear it from someone who fell asleep during the President's SONA but, in my defense,  I didn't do it voluntarily.

To put it bluntly, the reason why TRAPOs and BIMPOs rule over our beloved motherland is because of people like you. Not caring gives them a free pass to do their shit behind our backs. Not voicing out your distastes in a constructive manner is doing much worse--they think that you're affirming that what they're doing is alright. But worst of all, rolling your eyes at the people who actively do so is a clear sign of you not reexamining your privileges. People organize themselves and protest at Mendiola because they want a better country not just for themselves, but also for YOU. They are rowdy because that's the only way to be heard. No wonder, the protests were only allowed 7.8 km away from Batasan so Noynoy can be drowned with the sound of 88 applauses and not by the screams of anger by the rallyists. 

UN declared that Freedom of Speech is a universal human right, and part of it is allowing you to complain and complain and complain and complain and complain--so take advantage of that. If women suffragists did not complain about not having the right to vote, then it wouldn't be handed to them. Why? Because the people in power wouldn't find out what's wrong (since, ya know they are all calloused evil beings in the first place).

And remember my pro-tip: complain wisely, always. 




No comments: